By Cat Grayson. Last Updated 15th November 2023. You may be wondering “how much compensation for anxiety after a car accident could I receive?” If you have suffered from anxiety, depression or post-traumatic stress disorder following a car accident, you may be able to claim compensation for anxiety if you’re able to prove that third-party negligence caused your injury.
Personal injury claims can compensate you for your physical injuries as well as any psychological and emotional trauma you’ve experienced, such as anxiety. Read on to learn more about making a psychological injury claim after a car accident.
Our advisors here at Advice.co.uk are available to talk you through the claims process. They may also be able to help connect you with a solicitor who could support you if you have a valid case. You can call us on 0161 696 9685 or use our online contact form to find out more.
Please read on to learn more about anxiety, depression and post-traumatic stress disorder following a car accident.
Select A Section
- When Could I Claim For Anxiety After A Car Accident?
- How Much Compensation Could I Receive For Anxiety After A Car Accident?
- Do I Need Evidence When I’m Claiming For Anxiety After A Car Accident?
- Claim Time Limits After A Car Crash
- Anxiety After A Car Accident – The Benefits Of Claiming With A No Win No Fee Solicitor
- Additional Information
While on the roads, road users owe each other a duty of care to navigate in a way that prevents injury and damage to themselves and others. As part of this duty, road users must comply with the Road Traffic Act 1988 and other rules and regulations found in the Highway Code. If you suffer anxiety after a car accident due to a breach in this duty, you might be eligible to make a personal injury claim.
However, your claim must meet the relevant criteria. This means that you must have evidence that shows:
- The other road user owed you a duty of care.
- They breached this duty.
- This breach caused you to suffer emotional distress due to trauma after a car accident.
If you have any questions about claiming compensation for a car crash, please contact one of the advisors from our team. They can evaluate your claim for free, and can help you identify whether or not your claim is valid.
You may be wondering how much compensation for anxiety after a car accident you could receive if your claim succeeds. This can vary from case to case because every claim is valued based on its unique circumstances.
All successful claimants will receive general damages. This is because this area of claim covers your injuries, and the pain and suffering that they cause you. This includes psychological injuries such as anxiety after a car accident.
When this head of claim is valued, reference can be made to the Judicial College Guidelines (JCG). This document contains guideline compensation brackets for a number of different injuries, some examples of which you can find below.
|Psychiatric Damage - Severe||The injured person will have significant problems dealing with ordinary life. The prognosis will be very poor.||£54,830 to £115,730|
|Psychiatric Damage - Moderately severe||Significant issues with the injured person's ability to cope with life, education and work will persist. However, prognosis will be more optimistic.||£19,070 to £54,830|
|Psychiatric Damage - Moderate||Prognosis will be good and there has been a marked improvements by trial.||£5,860 to £19,070|
|Psychiatric damage - Less Severe||Award dependent on the length of time various activities were impacted.||£1,540 to £5,860|
|Post-traumatic stress disorder - Severe||Permanent problems which will cause the person to struggle to function the same as they used to.||£59,860 to £100,670|
|Post-traumatic stress disorder - Moderately Severe||PTSD has a negative effect on quality of life but recovery is possible with professional medical help.||£23,150 to £59,860|
|Post-traumatic stress disorder - Moderate||A significant recovery and any ongoing effects should not be very disabling.||£8,180 to £23,150|
|Post-traumatic stress disorder - Less Severe||Full recovery expected within one or two years with only minor side effects following that.||£3,950 to £8,180|
|Whiplash Injuries With Psychological Injuries||Injuries last 18 to 24 months.||£4,345|
|Whiplash Injuries With Psychological Injuries||Injuries last 15 to 18 months.||£3,100
Special damages is the head of your claim that helps you recoup the financial losses you suffer as a result of your injuries. For example, under this heading, you may be able to claim back the cost of:
- Lost earnings as a result of being unable to work.
However, you will need to provide proof of these losses, which could include bank statements, invoices, or receipts.
To learn more about making a car crash claim, contact our team today. They can evaluate your claim for free, and may be able to connect you with a solicitor from our panel.
Does The Whiplash Reform Programme Offer Compensation After A Car Accident
If you are seeking compensation after a car accident that happened on 31st May 2021 or afterwards, and your whiplash injuries are valued at less than £5,000, you would start a car crash claim through the Whiplash Reform Programme (WRP).
However, there are eligibility requirements. For example:
- You must have been a passenger or driver of the vehicle involved in the accident
- You cannot make a claim through the WRP if you are under 18 years of age
- Your whiplash injuries and one or more psychological injuries must be minor
Continue reading for more information on how to claim after a car accident. You can also visit our compensation section to find out the value of whiplash injuries in the tariff set out in the Whiplash Injury Regulations.
If you are eligible to make a personal injury claim for anxiety or depression after a car accident, collecting sufficient evidence could help support your claim. It could help with proving who was liable and the psychological injury you suffered.
Some examples of the evidence you collect when making a claim for anxiety after a car accident include:
- Dashcam or CCTV footage of the accident.
- The contact details of any witnesses to the accident so that they could provide a statement later on.
- Photographs of the accident scene.
- A copy of your medical records stating the physical or psychological injuries you’ve suffered.
If you have suffered anxiety after an injury caused by a road traffic accident, our advisors can give you free advice on what evidence to collect. Get in touch at any time.
When discussing how to claim after a car accident, it is essential that you know about the time limits involved. You’ll need to ensure you start a car crash claim within the time limit, otherwise, your claim is at risk of being statute-barred.
The Limitation Act 1980 sets out the limitation period to claim compensation after a car accident. You typically have three years from the date of the accident. However, a minor who suffers shock after a car accident has three years from their 18th birthday to take action.
Additionally, the time limit is suspended for someone who does not have the mental capacity to start a claim. It would only begin if they regain the required mental capacity.
A litigation friend may act on the behalf of a child or someone who lacks the mental capacity to begin their own claim whilst the time limit is suspended.
Get in touch if you have any additional questions about exceptions to the limitation period for a car crash claim. Our advisors could connect you with an expert car accident injury claim solicitor from our panel.
If you are eligible to make a whiplash and anxiety claim, you may wish to instruct a solicitor to work on your case. One of the road traffic accident solicitors from our panel could support your claim. They typically use a type of No Win No Fee arrangement called a Conditional Fee Agreement (CFA) when offering their services.
If your road traffic accident solicitor works with you under this type of agreement, they generally don’t ask you to pay an upfront fee towards their services. They also don’t ask you to pay ongoing costs for their services. You also won’t be asked to pay for their work on your case if you aren’t awarded compensation following an unsuccessful claim.
However, should the outcome of your claim for anxiety after a car accident be successful, your solicitor will deduct a success fee from your compensation. The success fee is a legally limited percentage of your award.
To discuss how much compensation for whiplash and anxiety you could receive, get in touch with one of the advisors from our team. If you have a strong case, you could be connected to one of the solicitors from our panel.
To speak to a member of the team:
NHS What is GAD? – An NHS guide to anxiety disorder
How to get help for anxiety – From Anxiety UK.
More Useful Personal Injury Guides
- £20,000 Compensation Payout For A Frozen Shoulder
- Hit and Run Accident Claims Guide
- How To Claim Compensation For A Hip Injury
Other Car Accident Claim Guides
- Car Accident Claims
- Claim Compensation As A Passenger In A Car Accident
- HGV Accident Compensation
- Snow And Ice Car Accidents
- Taxi And Minicab Accident Claim
- Learner Driver Car Accident
- What To Do After A Car Accident?
- Time Limit For A Car Accident Claim
- Proving A Car Accident Wasn’t Your Fault
- Time Limit On Car Accident Claims
- How To Report A Car Accident
- Car Insurance Excess Fees After An Accident
- Rights In A Car Accident
- What Should I Do If I’m Injured In A Car Accident?
- Who Pays The Excess Fees In A Rear End Car Accident?
- How Long Do You Have To Report A Car Accident?
- How Do You Prove Injuries Sustained In A Car Accident?
- Symptoms To Watch Out For After A Car Accident
- Can You Sue For A Car Accident With No Injuries?
- What Happens If You Get Injured In A Car Accident?
- Car Accident Injury Payouts
- Who Is Liable In A Multi Car Pile Up?
- Emergency Braking Bus Accident
- Can I Claim If A Car Accident Aggravated A Pre-existing Condition?
- Mud On The Road Car Accident
- How To Claim For An Accident During A Driving Lesson
If you would like more information about making a claim after a car crash, you can contact our team to see what you could receive. They can answer queries such as “how much compensation for anxiety after a car accident could I receive?” They may also be able to provide you with a car crash compensation estimate. Contact us at a time that suits you using the above details.