How Much Can You Claim Through The Motor Insurers’ Bureau?

By Stephen Kane. Last Updated 16th February 2024. In this guide, we’ll explore how you can claim compensation through the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB). If you have been involved in a road traffic accident where the driver has failed to stop or is uninsured, then you may feel very anxious about how you will recover your financial losses and make a personal injury claim.

Your insurance company may cover you for any damages to your vehicle and fortunately, victims in this situation can turn to an organisation called the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB).

MIB was set up to compensate victims for personal injury and financial losses where the other driver does not have insurance or is untraceable.

Motor Insurers’ Bureau compensation may pay out damages for any personal injuries sustained as a result of a road traffic accident that someone else’s negligence caused. The process may seem complex but our expert panel of solicitors could help.

Contact us today on 0161 696 9685 to find out more about how we can help you and read on to learn more about the Motor Insurers’ Bureau and how to claim compensation for victims of uninsured or hit and run drivers.

Man taking a photo of damage to his car following a road traffic accident

Motor Insurers’ Bureau compensation claims guide

Select A Section

  1. When Could I Make A Claim Through The Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB)?
  2. Can I Claim For A Hit And Run Through The MIB?
  3. How Much Can You Claim Through The Motor Insurers’ Bureau?
  4. Top Tips on Claiming MIB Compensation
  5. How Much Can You Claim Through The Motor Insurers’ Bureau With A No Win No Fee Solicitor?
  6. More Information And Advice

When Could I Make A Claim Through The Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB)?

While using the roads, all road users owe each other a duty of care to operate the roads in a way that prevents harm to themselves and others. To uphold this duty, road users must adhere to the Road Traffic Act 1988 and any relevant rules and regulations found in the Highway Code. If you are injured because of a breach of this duty, you could be eligible for road traffic accident compensation.

You may wonder how you could claim if the other driver was uninsured or untraceable. If this is the case, you could make your claim via the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB) which helps compensate those who have been involved in an accident with an uninsured or untraceable driver.

However, all MIB claims must meet the eligibility criteria. This means that in order to make a personal injury claim for a car accident, you must prove that:

  • The other driver owed you a duty of care.
  • They breached this duty.
  • As a result of this breach, you suffered injuries.

If you would like to discuss MIB payout examples and the eligibility requirements to claim, speak with an advisor from our team. 

Can I Claim For A Hit And Run Through The MIB?

If you’ve been injured in a hit-and-run accident by an untraceable driver, then you may be eligible to claim compensation through the Motor Insurers’ Bureau. When a driver who hurt you in a hit-and-run incident cannot be identified, they will be considered untraced, and because of this, you cannot claim against them. The MIB can help here, and can provide compensation to those injured by untraceable or uninsured drivers.

If you intend to submit a hit-and-run claim to the MIB, then we recommend you get support from a solicitor who has experience with this type of case. Our panel of solicitors are experts in road traffic accident claims, and may be able to help you.

Read on to learn more, or get in touch with our team today to find out if working with a solicitor from our panel could be right for you.

How Much Can You Claim Through The Motor Insurers’ Bureau?

You may want MIB payout examples in the UK to give you a better idea of what you could receive if you were to claim through them. However, we’re unable to provide you with this as the information used by solicitors and lawyers to determine potential compensation amounts only relates to successful claims from England and Wales.

This information is taken from the Judicial College Guidelines. Previous general damages payouts are analysed and compared to the type of injury that has led to the compensation award. By doing this, compensation brackets have been created, such as the ones you see below.

These figures are taken from the latest guidelines, published in April 2022. They are only a guide, as every claim is unique. Factors that can determine your potential compensation amount includes:

  • Whether the injury is long-term or short-term
  • How long it will take for you to recover
  • The extent of the injury
Injury Additional information Compensation Bracket
Multiple Serious Injuries Plus Special Damages If you’ve been in a road traffic accident that has caused multiple serious injuries, then you may receive compensation for these as well as special damages which are related, such as loss of earnings or the costs of home care. Up to £1,000,000+
Moderately severe brain damage The injured person is very seriously disabled. £219,070 to £282,010
Severe neck injury (i) Restricted movement and pain caused by paralysis In the region of £148,330
Moderate neck injury (ii) Soft tissue injury which will resolve. £13,740 to £24,990
Severe arm injuries Restricted movement in the arm on a permanent basis £96,160 to £130,930
Less severe arm injury Injuries will have caused significant disabilities but substantial recovery can take place £19,200 to £39,170
Very serious leg injury Permanent problems with mobility £54,830 to £87,890
Less serious leg injury (i) Fractures or serious soft tissue injuries from which an incomplete recovery is made £17,960 to £27,760
Whiplash Tariff A whiplash injury along with minor psychological damage with symptoms that last 18-24 months. £4,345
Whiplash Tariff A whiplash injury with symptoms that last between 18-24 months. £4,215

The first entry in the table above is an estimated figure that is not taken from the Judicial College Guidelines.

Whiplash injuries will now be valued in accordance with the tariff found in the Whiplash Injury Regulations 2021. We have included figures from this tariff in the table. Please note, these are fixed amounts.

Special Damages

When claiming through the MIB, an untraced driver could have caused you to suffer financially as well as physically and psychologically. If so, you could be eligible to receive a figure known as special damages. This amount is calculated to account for any financial loss caused by your injuries.

Here are a few examples of what could be included in a special damages payment:

  • Medical expenses
  • Repair costs to personal property
  • Loss of earnings
  • Additional care at home

If you’d like to know more about how you could achieve claim success with the MIB, please contact us for free legal advice using the above details.

Top Tips on Claiming MIB Compensation

MIB claims require evidence to be successful. Your evidence will need to establish that you were injured because of a road traffic accident and the incident was caused by another party that breached the duty of care they owed you.

There are numerous types of evidence you may be able to collect, including:

  • Medical reports that confirm your injuries and the treatment you’ve received for them.
  • Any video footage available of your accident, such as dashcam footage or CCTV footage.
  • Photographic evidence of the accident scene and the injuries you’ve suffered.
  • The contact details of any witnesses who can provide a statement about your accident.

For more advice on the steps to making a MIB claim or other related matters such as whether you can use a MIB compensation calculator, contact our team of advisors today.

What Is The Time Limit For MIB Claims?

According to the Limitation Act 1980, the time limit for claiming hit and run compensation is three years. This time limit begins from the date your incident occurred and also applies to claims made through the Motor Insurers’ Bureau.

In some circumstances, the time limit can be different. If the injured party is a child, then the time limit does not start for them until the day of their 18th birthday. Before that day, a claim could potentially be started on the child’s behalf by a litigation friend.

If the injured party lacks the mental capacity to claim on their own behalf, then the three-year time limit is suspended unless they become capable of claiming themselves. In such cases, a litigation friend may be able to represent the injured individual.

How Much Can You Claim Through The Motor Insurers’ Bureau With A No Win No Fee Solicitor?

A solicitor from our panel could help you go through the MIB to claim compensation for a road traffic accident. Furthermore, they may offer their services to you under a Conditional Fee Agreement (CFA), which is a type of No Win No Fee arrangement.  This means that you aren’t expected to pay an upfront fee in order for your solicitor to begin working on your claim, nor are you expected to pay ongoing fees for their work. If your claim doesn’t succeed, then your solicitor won’t take a fee for their services.

If your claim does succeed, then your solicitor will take a success fee. This fee comes straight from your compensation as a small percentage, though there is a legislative cap in place. This cap helps to ensure that you keep the majority of your awarded compensation.

When you claim through the MIB with a solicitor, they can help you gather essential evidence to strengthen your claim. They can ensure that all areas of your claim are fully considered, paying attention to the likes of special damages and ensuring that psychological injuries are included alongside your physical injuries.

Our panel have years of combined experience in road traffic accident law and are ready to help you claim compensation. To find out if you could be eligible to work with one of them, contact our team of advisors today:

More Information And Advice

If you have any additional questions on how to claim compensation through the Motor Insurers’ Bureau or about MIB payout amounts, call our team on the number above.