By Lewis Lennon. Last Updated 15th February 2023. This is a guide to making compensation claims for slips, trips and fall injuries caused by the actions of a third party due to failing in their duty of care towards you. These are the most frequently seen kind of related workplace accidents in Great Britain each year. You are going to learn about many of the reasons why people make slips, trips and fall injury claims, and how to get started with your own.
If you have questions that are not answered in this guide, or just want some general advice, then please speak to our claims team today on 0161 696 9685. They are ready and waiting to help you in any way that you need.
Select A Section:
- A Guide To Claiming Compensation For Slips Trips And Falls
- Personal Injury Compensation Calculator For Slips, Trips And Falls
- Types Of Damages You Can Claim After Being Injured In A Slip Trip Or Fall
- What Are Slips, Trips And Falls?
- What Is A Slip Trip Or Fall Claim?
- Where Can Slips And Falls Happen?
- Is My Accident And Injuries Eligible To Make A Claim?
- Circumstances In Which You Can Have A Slip Or Fall
- Can I Claim For Slips Or Falls In Shops And Supermarkets?
- Can I Claim For Slips Or Falls Caused By My Council
- Can I Claim For A Slip Or Fall Suffered At Work?
- Injuries Caused By Slips Trips And Falls
- Slip And Fall Broken And Fractured Hip Injuries
- Slip And Fall Head Injuries And Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI)
- Slip And Fall Back Injuries
- Slip And Fall Shoulder Injuries
- Slip And Fall Sprains, Strains and Other Fractures
- How To Make Your Slip Trip Or Fall Injury Claim
- No Win No Fee Claims For Injuries Caused By Slips, Trips, And Falls
- How Our Team Can Help You
- Call Our Advisors Today
- Additional Advice And Information
Before you read this guide, you need to understand that there is a personal injury claims time limit that you must begin your claim within. This is generally three years in most cases. As long as you are within the applicable time limit, then this guide should be useful to you. It contains the following information:
- A table that shows typical ranges of compensation that are paid for different kinds of injuries that could be caused by a slip, trip or fall accident.
- A list of the most frequently awarded types of damages that could make up a settlement following a successful claim.
- A basic definition of what slips, trips and fall accidents are, and how they can cause surprisingly severe injuries.
- An overview of how a trip, slip or fall claim takes place, as well as an examination of the concept of liability.
- A list of common places that a fall, slip or a trip can take place, the common places that present a significant hazard.
- An overview of the concept of eligibility to make a claim, and how you may be owed a duty of care by the third party that was the cause of your accident.
- A list of some of the major hazards that can cause a fall, slip or a trip, and how they can become the basis of a compensation claim.
- Several sections that cover some common types of claims. Such as accidents in a retail store, and accidents in the street. We also cover workplace accidents.
- Several sections that cover some of the most common injuries caused by these accidents. Such as a broken hip, head injuries, back injuries and shoulder injuries, as well as general sprains and fractures.
- An introduction to the process of starting your claim, and how we can help you to get your claim underway with minimal fuss.
Personal Injury Compensation Calculator For Slips, Trips And Falls
Instead of providing an online personal injury claims calculator, we have given these real-world figures in the table below, which relate to typical payments for a range of injuries.
|Neck Injury - Severe (ii)||Disc damage and fractures in the cervical spine which cause a severe disability.||£65,740 to £130,930|
|Neck Injury - Moderate (i)||Dislocations or fractures which cause immediate severe symptoms and may require spinal fusion.||£24,990 to £38,490|
|Leg Injury - (b) Severe (iii) Serious||Serious compound or comminuted fractures, or injuries to joints or ligaments resulting in instability with prolonged treatment.||£39,200 to £54,830|
|Leg Injury - (c) Less Serious (i)||Fractures from which an incomplete recovery is made. The person may be left with a limp.||£17,960 to £27,760|
|Back Injury - Moderate (i)||Could include compression/crush fractures of the lumbar vertebrae causing a risk of osteoarthritis and chronic pain||£27,760 to £38,780|
|Back Injury - Minor (i)||Soft tissue injuries with recovery expected within about two to five years.||£7,890 to £12,510|
|Wrist injuries - (c)||Wrist injury that causes persisting stiffness and pain.||£12,590 to £24,500|
|Whiplash Injury with Psychological Injury||Symptoms lasting 18-24 months||£4,345|
|Whiplash Injury||Symptoms lasting 18-24 months||£4,215|
If you would like to know specific slip and fall compensation amounts, please call our claims team on the telephone number at the end of the guide.
Types Of Damages You Can Claim After Being Injured In A Slip Trip Or Fall
When slip and fall injury claims are successful, the settlement that is offered will likely be made up of several different types of damages. These cover both financial loss and physical harm.
General damages (for all physical harm)
- Negative effect on life quality
- Disability either permanent or long-term
- Psychological damage and injuries
- Mental stress, trauma and anguish
- Suffering and pain
Special damages (financial loss)
- Lowered prospects of employment.
- Loss of wages/salary
- Cost of hiring in maintenance staff or nursing staff
- Private medical fees
- The cost of travel
What Are Slips, Trips And Falls?
With all slip and fall injury cases, if the accident was caused by the negligent actions of a third party (and this includes incidents that are the result of some kind of omission such as not signposting a hazard), then a reason to make a claim could exist.
A trip, fall or slip could take place when a person encounters a hazard that should not be there, and if this causes them to come to harm the third-party that caused the hazard could be liable to pay compensation in these cases.
What Is A Slip Trip Or Fall Claim?
Slip and fall injury claim is the legal process to claim damages. The injury would have been caused by an accident that was the fault of a third party who had a duty of care towards you. In some cases, the third party will only be partially to blame for the accident and will be pursued for compensation at a reduced percentage of liability.
When it comes to making a claim for slip and fall compensation, these simple accidents can happen at any place, and at any time. However, they tend to happen in certain places more often than others, for example:
- In a retail store, a shopping mall or a supermarket.
- In a restaurant, café or fast food outlet.
- Walking a public street.
- On a factory floor, or in a warehouse.
- In a public bathroom.
As you can see, these accidents can happen anywhere. If a third party was the cause, we could be able to help you to make a claim.
To answer the question, can I claim compensation for a fall? You will need to be eligible to do so. This means you will have had to suffer some kind of physical harm, even if only minor, due to the accident. You will also need to be able to prove that a third party was at least partially the cause of the accident, failing in their duty of care towards you. If both of these statements are true in your own case, you could be eligible to make a claim.
What Is The Time Limit For Slip, Trip And Fall Claims?
After a slip and trip, you typically have three years from the date of the accident to take action. This limitation period is outlined in the Limitation Act 1980.
- Minors hurt in a trip and fall accident have three years from their 18th birthday to issue court proceedings.
- The time limit is suspended indefinitely for anyone mentally incapable of claiming unless they regain their mental capacity.
A litigation friend can act on behalf of a minor or someone who lacks the mental capacity. For example, a parent, family friend or solicitor. However, they must not have conflicting interests with the claimant and must act in a fair and competent manner.
If you would like to find out whether you are still within your time limit to claim, get in touch with our advisors at any time.
There are many ways these accidents can happen, such as making a claim for slipping on a wet floor, common circumstances include:
- Slipping on a wet or dirty floor that has not been signposted as a hazard.
- Tripping on damaged floor coverings such as a frayed carpet or warped floorboards.
- Tripping on a broken curbstone, paving slab, or uneven pavement.
- Falling into a pothole in the road.
- Tripping over obstructions that have been left on a public pavement or walkway.
Can I Claim For Slips Or Falls In Shops And Supermarkets?
When it comes to settling a slip and fall claim for an accident in a supermarket, it must be proven that the supermarket was at fault in some way. For example, a dirty floor went uncleaned, or spilt liquid was not signposted as a hazard. You will also need to follow the procedure for reporting an accident in the supermarket. There is generally an accident form you will need to fill in.
Can I Claim For Slips Or Falls Caused By My Council
You can pursue your local council for a slip, trip or fall compensation claim if it has failed in its duty to maintain safe public pavements and other publicly accessible areas. This includes all pavements and other public places such as car parks and public parks. It also covers buildings such as your local library or council office. Once again, you must follow the accident reporting procedure.
Can I Claim For A Slip Or Fall Suffered At Work?
Every employer in the UK is required, by law, to provide a healthy and safe working environment for all of its workforce, at all times. Punishment is levied at employers who fail to do this. Therefore, if you are injured in a work-related accident that was due to your employer failing to fulfil their legal obligations, then you could have a valid reason to make a personal injury claim.
Injuries caused by slips, trips and falls can vary in severity. Below we have featured some injuries that may result from a trip or fall:
- Spinal cord injuries may occur if you hit the ground with your back or if you attempt to twist to prevent a fall
- Shoulder injuries, such as a sprain, dislocation or broken collarbone
- A head injury or concussion
The above list is not exhaustive. If you’ve sustained another form of injury in a trip and slip accident due to another’s negligence, you may be eligible to pursue a claim. Speak to an advisor at any time to find out more.
A broken hip or broken leg is a very common occurrence in falls, slips and trips. Especially in the elderly, and those with bone conditions such as osteoporosis. A fractured hip can be a life-threatening injury in people, a very traumatic injury with a long recovery period. Furthermore, the victim may need months or even years of physiotherapy in order to be able to walk properly again.
Slip And Fall Head Injuries And Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI)
A head injury such as a concussion or TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury), is a common injury in these kinds of accidents. Particularly when the accident takes place in a confined space, such as a restaurant, where the victim could fall and strike their head on a table, a chair, or some other restaurant fitting.
Slip And Fall Back Injuries
A trip, fall or slip can cause a serious back injury; muscle damage, nerve damage and fractured vertebrae. Once again, these injuries can be very serious, despite the simple nature of the accident that caused them. In some cases, the victim could be left with a permanent or long-term disability.
Slip And Fall Shoulder Injuries
Fall, trip or slip victims often suffer some kind of shoulder injury. This could be a sprain, dislocation or a fracture. The shoulder takes much of the weight of a person when they fall if they use their hands and arms to try and catch themselves. Once again, the elderly are at a high risk here.
Slip And Fall Sprains, Strains and Other Fractures
The sections above covered some common injuries. However, almost any kind of injuries such as a broken wrist or a fractured arm can occur due to a slip, trip or fall. Injuries can range from trivial such as a sprained finger, through to dire such as a broken neck.
How To Make Your Slip Trip Or Fall Injury Claim
If you need to make a claim for compensation for slip and fall injuries, then the process of starting your claim with us is very simple indeed. If you use the number below and talk to one of our claim experts, they will go over your claim with you, asking any questions they need to be answered. They will then offer you a simple and effective way to have your claim processed.
No Win No Fee Claims For Injuries Caused By Slips, Trips, And Falls
We have come up with a No Win No Fee claims service, that can be used by everyone, as a simple yet effective way to get the compensation they are entitled to. Furthermore, this is a reduced financially risk way for you to have your claim processed. Our panel of solicitors charge zero to start your claim and zero while they are processing your claim for you. Our panel of solicitors also charge zero if they are not able to get you any compensation. When they do receive compensation, they will then deduct the fee from the money received, before sending you the rest. Speak to one of our claims team to take advantage of this service today.
How Our Team Can Help You
Our panel of solicitors will do all that they can to ensure you get the most compensation possible. They will keep you updated on how your claim is going and are always available to answer any questions you may have, in a transparent manner. The three simple steps below cover our claims process.
|Reach out to our claims team by web chat, email or phone.||The claims team will go over your claim with you.||If you are eligible to claim, we can get started right away.|
Call Our Advisors Today
Have you been injured in fall, slip or trip accident that was not your fault? Do you think that you have a valid reason to move forward with a claim? If so, speak to one of our claim advisors on 0161 696 9685 today. They will discuss your claim with you, and then offer you a simple way to get your claim started right away.
Additional Advice And Information
The links below lead to other websites that have relevant information that could be useful:
Page by CR